Film Nerd News #16
Welcome to another edition of iGR’s Film Nerd News! Pretty fancy new digs we got here huh? Well a big thanks goes out to iGR Founder Dylan Zellmer who the new design together in a mere days! Anyways, we’re here for film news aren’t we? So let’s get to it!
6/3 – The cast of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY gets stranger and stranger.
- As if the cast for Marvel’s upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy couldn’t get any stranger, news broke last week that Benicio Del Toro (Snatch.) was also joining the cast. What’s different about this role, however, is that it reportedly comes with a multi-picture contract; meaning we’ll be seeing Del Toro for more than just one film. With filming getting started in less than a month, we should be hearing about at least a couple more casting pieces so it’ll be interesting to see who they add to the already bizarre cast.
6/5 – Warner Bros paid a steep price for INTERSTELLAR
- Because Christopher Nolan’s (The Dark Knight trilogy) new film Interstellar was setup at Paramount, Warner Bros. (which loves being in the Nolan business) had to give up at least partial rights to any sequel made in for either South Park or Friday the 13th. It’s not clear if Warner Bros. had any plans to make sequels for either of those films but it definitely means there won’t be any anytime soon. That said, it’s a pretty smart move to get involved with Nolan because his film will probably do better at the box office than either South Park or Friday the 13th.
6/5 – New actress emerges as frontrunner for RODHAM
- Last week, I reported that four of the most talented actresses in Hollywood were the frontrunners for the Hilary Clinton film Rodham. How quickly things change. That’s because It dropped last week that Carey Mulligan (The Great Gatsby) is now the frontrunner when she wasn’t even one of the four from the previous week! Even though she wasn’t on the previous list of actresses, Mulligan is definitely a solid choice and it will be interesting to see what kind of cast is lined up for director James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now).
6/6 – Denzel Washington has a SHOVEL READY
- After a short break, actor Denzel Washington (Training Day) has lined up yet another upcoming project, titled Shovel Ready. Shovel Ready is a film set in futuristic, war-torn New York where the general public escapes reality in a digital fantasy world. Washington is to play a hitman who is hired to assassinate a maniacal evangelist only to end up becoming her protector. Washington has been busy as of late with 2 Guns set to come out later this year and he’s about to start filming The Equilizer. As a big fan of Washington’s, it’s nice to see him getting a steady stream of work, especially after taking a break for a couple years.
6/7 – An interesting choice for THE EXPENDABLES 3 vilain
- In addition to the news that Nicolas Cage (The Rock), Jackie Chan (Rush Hour trilogy), Milla Jovovich (Resident Evil franchise) and Wesley Snipes (Blade trilogy) are joining The Expendables 3, news broke late last week that Mel Gibson (Braveheart) would also be joining the film as the villain of the film. That’s quite the coup of veteran action stars signing on for a franchise that could definitely use some fresh faces. That said, producer/star Sylvester Stallone (Rocky franchise) definitely knows action so it should be fun to see what he can get out of such a ridiculous cast.